Buying Rare Coins
Blanchard and Company, Inc. Rare Coin Guide
At Blanchard and Company, Inc., we recommend that you buy U.S. rare coins in the highest grades you can afford and hold them for the long term.
Additionally, there are some specific guidelines you will want to
follow when investing in U.S. gold coinage.
- Quality not quantity. Higher quality coins are much rarer than
lower quality coins. They also offer the greatest aesthetic pleasure
and are more likely to attract serious collector demand.
- Invest in the rarest coins you can afford. Concentrate on rare coins
with low survival rates as reported by PCGS and NGC.
- Buy sleepers and stoppers. Sleepers are rare coins that are undervalued
in terms of their relative rarity. Stoppers are the most important
issues that make up complete sets of coins.
- Get professionals working for you. While bullion coins are bought
in bulk, the best way to buy rare coins is to have a professional on whom you can depend to recommend specific rare coin examples for you.
- Buy PCGS and NGC certified rare coins only. Only invest in rare coins
graded by Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) and Numismatic
Guaranty Corporation (NGC). These are the leading independent grading
services whose standards are accepted industry-wide.